dearest friends
this you will not believe
there is such sadness and surprise
today
t came home from the hospital
on tuesday evening,
he was doing well though in a great deal of pain.
he was nauseous
so nauseous and in such pain
but strong, fortified
ready to live
but then there was shortness of breath
and the nausea didn't subside
and there was no sleep
no rest to be had
around every corner there was pain and
illness and it was a difficult few days
and we went to the doctors and he made it thru that
and the nausea would not leave him
and he needed so to rest
and he could find no rest and then finally
i got him compazine and there were the other things he needed
and finally last night after many tries
i settled him in our bed, the pillows stacked nad puffed to support him
so he could breathe and perhaps allay the nausea
and he closed his eyes,
and good i thought
i thought oh good, relief,
and i lay with him for a little but he
kept startling
so i closed the door slightly and told him
i was going to rest and i went into the other room and lay down and
i checked on him at midnight and then at 2 and at 4 and at 4 he
was lying on his side, curled up, oxygen on, his eyes closed and
i thought oh good, to rest, to sleep at last and
then i checked on him at 6 and at 8 and he was still sleeping and
at 9:15 again and then the sunlight was streaming in the window and
he was grey, green and cold so cold to the touch
and i closed the door and thought i cannot see him breathing
and he was not breathing
and i called for him and i held him
and i shook him and he was gone and
i called 911
and he was gone and they told me to try CPR but
he was gone and i called to him and he was gone
and his face was peaceful and his eyes were closed and
our darling tony
our friend
our love our stellar man of integrity
and truth
our Tony Shultz was gone.
bushwahacked i think
surprised to go in his sleep.
not expecting it but peaceful on his face.
they say righteous men die in their sleep
and so our T
9:15 AM, the ides of MArch 2008.
he is gone
and we are here
and we are weeping and feeling the wind sweep the skies
the hearse took him away at exactly 11 AM and the bells
yes actually really
the bells rang out as he went down the street
wrapped in our quilt that i made of silk scarves from the
van gogh exhibit so long ago and his first hawaiian shirts
our darling friends
our beloved community
our Tony is gone.
sof is in italy and we must bring her home
with her cousin by wednesday and
we will probably gather to celebrate Tony and his life
on Friday of this next week.
and we will sing and weep and
celebrate our darling man
as the winds sweep the sky and
the sun showers speak to me to tell me that he is safe
though sad to be far away.
so very sad that he is far away
my love to you all.
my heart is yours.
more news will follow
sh-h-h-h-h
breathe for us
for yourselves
news will be here
amen
11 comments:
We are weeping, mourning with you for this untimely loss of this love of yours, this person of strength, character, humor. Dear Susan and Sofie, may your warm memories envelop you and may your strength carry you through, and it will. We are and will be there for you, and with you.
Andrea Graham
oh susie
oh susie
oh susie
we are with you as we can be
HOW I HURT, HOW I HURT, HOW I HURT.
I KNOW HOW MUCH YOU HURT, HOW MUCH SOFIE HURTS. I FEEL IT IN MY HEART AND I AKE FOR YOU, SO MUCH.
HOW CAN I TAKE SOME OF YOUR HURT FROM YOU? I WISH I COULD.
IT'S INHUMAN TO LOOSE OUR LOVED ONES. ITS NOT FAIR. SUCH A PRINCE, SUCH A YOUNG MAN, SO FULL OF LIFE. HOW I MISS HIM ALREADY.
HIS HAWAIN SHIRTS, HIS BOYISH NAVY AND WHITE SHOES...
HOW COULD I HELP YOU?
YOU ARE BOTH SO MUCH IN OUR ACHING HEARTS.
MICHELINE AND DOMINIQUE
How very very sad. I did not know Tony well - only through the Charitable Foundation - but I was devastated to hear of his passing. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Sofie at this very sad time. He is now at peace and through your wonderful writing I know you will eventually find peace and what a wonderful gift you have which can be shared by so many of his friends. With affection.
Gaye Howard
Dear Susan, I am so sorry to learn of Tony's passing. I met you oh so briefly when we had our masterminds meeting with Tony in your back yard a couple of months ago, when he was his lively, humorous self, teaching and sharing as always. Since learning of his illness, I've followed your blog daily...have been so moved by your poetic gifts and spiritual generosity in sharing such difficult moments with us all. I can only guess at your feelings now but want to add my support and love and heartfelt wishes to you and Sofie as you move through the coming days.
Ruth Luban
Dear Susan,
I have been regularly reading your writings about Tony's illness since I first heard he wasn't well. I am a friend of his from John Burroughs and have had not had any contact with Tony for a very long time-but I was very concerned about him. I feel I came to know you and Sophie also.
Please accept my deepest condolences.
May your memories of Tony sustain and comfort you with the knowledge that he is always with you.
Joanne Newman Robbins
Dear Susan,
I have been following your writing since I heard of Tony's illness. I am a friend of his from John Burroughs.
Please accept my love and condolences on this immeasurable loss.
I will hold your heart and Sophie's heart deep inside my heart. May you be comforted by the memories that will always keep Tony close to you.
Joanne Newman Robbins
Dear Susan,
Your beautiful expressive writing moves me so deeply -- your love for Tony, your courage to express what must be unendurable pain, I am so sorry for this loss of a truly good and vibrant man. My heart is heavy with sadness.
Ellen Sandler
Susan,
My heart goes out to you and your daughter. I knew Tony at John Burroughs. Our show business paths crossed occasionally after that. The last time I saw him was about 23 years ago in the gift shop at the Grand Canyon. My family was on vacation. Tony was moving back to L.A. He was a nice guy then, as he had been all the way back at JB. He should not have had to suffer as he did. Keep in your heart that he is finally at peace.
Susan, I am so sorry to read that your dear Tony passed away. On behalf of myself and Star Publish LLC, our condolences and our hearts go out to you and to your Sofie.
May Tony rest in the arms of the angels.
Kristie Leigh Maguire
Founder & Publishing Consultant - Star Publish LLC
Very sorry to heat about Tony! May God Bless you and your family!!! Epstein LaRue, fellow Star Author :)
Post a Comment